Tuesday 14 April 2009

Graffiti!


Yes, graffiti is a criminal offence, so I suppose it should be considered as ‘being bad’. Is it really that bad though? In some circumstances, I do agree that certain types of graffiti can look a mess and spoil the image of many towns and cities. Gang tags are especially unsightly particularly on public transport or empty derelict houses. Some types of graffiti however, I think are fantastic pieces of art work, and I enjoy looking at some of them. The time, effort and detail put into some pieces is amazing. I do not agree with damaging other people's property, and I believe that type of graffiti is offensive and should not go unpunished. I understand that graffiti costs a huge amount of money to clean up with many hours of work needed. Not all graffiti needs to be cleaned up, especially if it looks as fantastic as the above picture. Perhaps some people ‘graffiti’ for fun or for the thrill of getting caught, knowing that what they are doing is wrong. On the other hand, maybe some people ‘graffiti’ to express their talent or point of view about something allowing others to appreciate their ‘art’ and thoughts. Let’s face it, graffiti does brighten up some dull buildings. In New York graffiti like that in the above picture is particular prevalent on the freeways especially on bridges and to be honest it brightens your journey. Well I think so anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment