Wednesday 1 April 2009

Gambling!


Is all gambling really that bad?

I think the answer to the above question really does depend upon how much the individual is undertaking gambling. In moderation, I do not see it as 'being bad' or a problem. Being addicted to gambling, on the other hand, is no different to being addicted to drinking alcohol or taking drugs. Over one million people in England alone are estimated to be problem gamblers. According to a website I found promoting National Gambling Awareness Week, compulsive gambling can lead to depression, suicide, theft, violent crime and domestic violence. The consequences of excessive gambling can be just as serious as other addictions. When I am talking about gambling, I am not talking about the odd game of bingo, a weekly go on the lottery, or a yearly flutter on the Grand National, I am talking about the people who gamble most of the day, every day. I believe the launch of online gambling sites does not help the situation with over 200,000 people now addicted to this form of gambling. Individuals can now accumulate serious amounts of debt without even leaving their homes. It is my opinion that compulsive gambling is bad, similar to that of alcohol and drug abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment