Friday 20 March 2009

Body Modification!


Last night’s lecture about body modification was fascinating, and at times a little gruesome and graphic. I only say that though, as I hate the sight of blood, it makes me feel very queasy, yet I was intrigued and wanted to learn more. It was interesting to learn that religion and tribal traditions play a large part in tattoos and piercings, as well as people just doing it for aesthetic reasons. At one time, it would have only been those in the Army, Navy, Japanese gangsters and people who had been in prison who had tattoos. Now however, it seems as though most people have at least one tattoo or piercing. Many celebrities also have them, such as David and Victoria Beckham, Peaches Geldof, Amy Winehouse and many more. This may be why tattoos and piercings appeal more so to a younger generation, allowing them to follow fashion and celebrity trends.


I don’t think having tattoos or piercings is immoral, irresponsible, unhealthy or dangerous; I suppose it may be a little dangerous to the person having it done. Although these days I think hygiene, health and safety standards regarding tattoos and piercings are very high, even though this does not always prevent infection after having the tattoo or piercing.


I think some tattoos look really nice and tasteful, yet I consider some to be really distasteful, and too many can look over the top. According to a survey carried out why people get tattoos, apparently 44% of people got them to feel unique, 33% to feel independent, and 28% to make a life experience. I think tattoos and piercings do allow people to be unique, although so many people have them these days it is now more like the norm. The survey also showed that more women were getting tattoos, and more so than men, they were more likely to regret getting one done. For women in some cultures a tattoo can signify a voicing of an opinion, or of no longer being possessed or owned by men. Although as a nation I feel we are now becoming more socially accepting of tattoos and piercings, some employers still make employees cover the tattoos up with a plaster or an item of clothing. I understand this reasoning with piercings from a health and safety point of view, however, maybe there is still negative stigma attached to having tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment