Monday 16 March 2009

Bad Police!


I was amazed to learn that there are more than 1,000 police officers in the UK with criminal records. I know everyone makes mistakes especially in their youth and I don’t think it is a problem for police officers to have a criminal record for minor offences. According to a report however, published last week, some police officers have criminal records for battery, fraud, assault, dishonesty and theft. The public trust the police to enforce the law, not break it themselves. I find it concerning that someone convicted of battery and assault would have been able to get a job in the police force in the first place. I am also convinced that if the conviction was given whilst in the force, they should not be allowed to keep their job. According to the report, the highest numbers of police officers with criminal convictions were in the Metropolitan Police Force, with the West Midlands Police following a close second. Although these forces are amongst the largest in the country, it doesn't surprise me!


I don’t think someone who has been convicted of a violent crime should have the power to enforce the law, giving someone with a violent temper a uniform and such powers is a lethal combination. I cannot understand how a police officer who has been convicted of dishonesty can do his/her job correctly, especially when policing is all about duty of care and being honest.


No comments:

Post a Comment